This is a simple budget meal that really stretches to feed a large family. You can use a budget variety of mince as a base and make the most of tinned beans, corn and tomatoes to bulk it up. Serve with steamed rice to make this meal go the extra mile.
Tell me more about this issue
We will help you do more, with less! There are 50+ tried and tested Thermomix recipes in The Thrifty Issue.
Want to know more about The Thrifty Issue?
- Our $1 Lunchbox Fillers are not only cheap, but tasty too! The Cheese, Bacon and Spinach Impossible Pie and No Egg Budget Cake are going to be favourites.
- Being thrifty means making the most of what you already have, and we all have those tins at the back of the cupboard, waiting to be used! We have recipes to use up your tomato, tuna, corn and condensed milk tins. Easy Lemon and Tuna Spaghetti will become a new weeknight favourite, and Super Simple Passionfruit Ice Cream will round the meal off perfectly for dessert!
- Make the most of the common veggies that get left in in the fridge before they go off! You will find recipes for pumpkin, carrot and cauliflower. From curry to fritters, soup to salad and side dishes to dips. We are loving the Carrot and Chive Risotto!
- Big Batch Meals will help you save time AND money by making a larger portion and saving some for later. The Pulled Beef is truly delicious.
- Schedule a Meat-Free Monday to reduce the cost of buying meat at least one night a week. Thermobexta has shared some amazing family friendly vegetarian meals from her books for this section, including her Vegetable Lasagne.
- Cheaper Cuts of Meat can lead to delicious results! This section will give you 5 yummy meals that are healthy and family friendly. Sweet Potato Stuffed with Paleo Beef Chilli is really tasty!
- Using Up Leftovers is a fabulous way to be thrifty, and we will show you how, with some common leftovers like leftover cooked pasta, vegetables, chicken and the like. Leftover Veggie Rolls are seriously yummy.
- If you love being thrifty with leftovers, you will LOVE our One Meal, Two Ways section. Make the base meal, and then make the second meal. Two for one! Turn Slow Cooked Beef and Mushroom Casserole into Beef and Mushroom Pie. Delicious.
Want to try before you buy? Apple users can tap preview to download an introduction to The On the Road Issue, including a full contents and two bonus recipes.
Love what you see? Tap the big yellow Subscribe button to get the latest issue and each new issue as it is released every month, along with all the subscriber-only bonus issues.
A monthly subscription is only $5.99, or you can choose a 6 month subscription for $29.99 (auto-renewable after the month / 6 month period). This gives you access to the latest issue, all subscriber-only Private issues and any issues released while your subscription is current. To purchase an individual issue is only $6.99. You can unsubscribe at any time. Instructions available: www.the4blades.com/unsubscribe
(Note: prices listed are in Australian dollars, but you will be charged the equivalent in your local currency)
- 2 large onions, peeled and halved
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 200g carrots, roughly chopped
- 200g capsicum, dressed and roughly chopped
- 20g olive oil
- 1 Tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp mild chilli powder, more or less to taste
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 800g tinned tomatoes, crushed or diced
- 20g stock paste
- 1kg beef mince
- 2 x 400g tins of kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 200g corn kernels, drained weight
- guacamole, sour cream and cheese, optional, to serve
- Add onions (2), garlic cloves (4), carrots (200g) and capsicum (200g) to the bowl. Mix Speed 7 / 3 seconds.
- Add oil (20g), paprika (1 Tbsp), chilli powder (1 tsp), cumin (2 tsp) and coriander (2 tsp) to the bowl. Program 5 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 2, measuring cap off.
- Add tomatoes (800g) and stock paste (20g) to bowl. Add mince (1kg) to the steaming attachment lower dish. Rough up the mince with your spatula. Add kidney beans (2 x 400g tins) and corn kernels (200g) on top of the mince.
- Put the steaming attachment in place. Program 10 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 2. Carefully remove the lid of the steaming attachment and, using your spatula, rough up the mince to break down any chunks.
- Again, program 10 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 2. Again, carefully remove the lid of the steaming attachment and, using your spatula, rough up the mince to break down any chunks.
- Program 5 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 2.
- Carefully place mince into a serving bowl and pour sauce from the mixer bowl over the top. Mix well, breaking up any large pieces of mince with your spatula.
- Allow to sit for 10 minutes to thicken slightly before serving.