Those that know me know I love dough. I love creating new things that are a little different to your standard loaf or pizza. I originally saw this as just a picture with no recipe or instructions months ago on Pinterest and of course started recreating it in my head using my recipes and preferred ingredients.
This is a fun alternative to your usual pizza night. They look impressive but really aren’t much more work. Maybe an extra few minutes? And once you get the hang of making them they are so quick you will make these over regular pizza bases.
This uses the same amount of dough I use to make two large pizzas from my Soft Bread In The Thermomix Is Possible guide. This makes two large rings or you can make 8 mini rings. You can customise each one for the kiddies or family members. Mini ones are great for the lunchbox.
Love this recipe? Subscribe to our daily recipe newsletter and never miss a newly posted recipe just as great as this one! Or join up to our monthly one for all the latest TRTLMT news. Subscribe to my newsletter here.
- 220g lukewarm water
- 375g bakers flour
- 1.5 teaspoons yeast
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- Filling ingredients of choice
- Tomato paste
- 200g grated cheese
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Add the ingredients in this order: water, oil, yeast, flour, salt.
- Blitz on speed 7 for 10 seconds to roughly combine.
- Knead for 6 mins.
- Remove dough and place into a lightly oiled bowl. Cover with cling film and place into a warm spot. I use the front seat of my car or a warmed oven.
- Leave this to rise for approximately an hour or until doubled.
- Remove dough from bowl, knock out the air and follow the assembly steps.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Split dough into two pieces.
- Place each dough onto a baking mat or onto baking paper on a tray.
- Roll each ball of dough out into a large circle using a rolling pin.
- Using a small bowl, press the rim into the dough to make an indent in the centre of the dough.
- Using your tmx spatula, score the middle circle in a star shape as shown in the above picture.
- Spread tomato paste of choice in a ring form as shown in the above picture. Be sure not to get it too close to the edge. Leave a few millimeter gap.
- Place your topping of choice on top of the sauce. You can be generous with the filling however don't over do the cheese as it will bubble out and you can lose the effect of the nice wheel/star shape.
- Pick up one of the triangles and bring it over the dough and then under the dough as per picture. Pinch the dough to the base ever so slightly to secure it so it doesn't unwrap during cooking as the dough will expand. Continue with all triangles. Lift the open side of the dough ever so slightly to create a sort of well between each folded over triangle piece as you go.
- Repeat for your second ball of dough.
- Allow to sit for 15 minutes if possible just to let the dough rise a little.
- Brush lightly with a beaten egg and place into a 180 degree oven and bake for approximately 30 minutes or until a lovely golden crust if formed.
- For those without a tmx or similar you can make this dough by hand. Simply combine all the ingredients and knead into a nice smooth dough. this will take about 5 minutes for a nice smooth dough.