Make your own yummy salt and pepper calamari without all the batter! This seasoning mix is really delicious, and it allows you to create a quick summery meal. Serve with a delicious fresh salad for a light but nutritious meal.
To make this meal even easier, ask your fishmonger to clean and slice the calamari for you. If you are doing it yourself, please be aware that there can be a thin film on the calamari that you will want to remove before eating.
Photo courtesy of The 4 Blades Magazine photography team.
Tell me more about this issue
We will help you do more, with less! There are 40+ tried and tested Thermomix recipes in The Healthy Eating Issue.
Want to know more about The Healthy Eating Issue?
- Ditch the take out, and make Fake Out! Full of delicious family favourites that you can make from home. From sushi made with cauliflower rice to fish and chips with a healthy twist, you are going to love these ideas.
- Salads can be the most delicious way to get a great burst of goodness into your diet. Our salads are FAR from boring, and oh so satisfying! We know that the Moroccan Roasted Chicken and Cauliflower Salad is going to be a new family favourite.
- Low in carbs but high in flavour? It can be done! Our Spiced Cauliflower Bites can be made ahead of time, making them great for entertaining.
- Healthy meals don’t have to take hours to prepare! We have yummy ideas that are healthy and delicious, without being labour intensive! The Sweet and Spicy Prawn Skewers have been a hit with our testing team.
- We have some RAW-some recipes that are not only raw, but delicious too! The Spiced Chia Chocolate Mousse is decadently delicious, and yet still healthy!
- A little sweet treat now and then should be enjoyed! We share some great ideas to make your sweet treats as nourishing as possible. The Peach Soft Serve is truly delicious, and only has two ingredients!
- Feel like indulging? If you are following a Low Carb Healthy Fat way of eating, you can enjoy a fat bomb to keep those dessert cravings at bay! We have five variations, shared with us by Thermo-Foodie and the Chef. Milk Chocolate Fat Bombs are delicious!
Want to try before you buy? Apple users can tap preview to download an introduction to The On the Road Issue, including a full contents and two bonus recipes.
Love what you see? Tap the big yellow Subscribe button to get the latest issue and each new issue as it is released every month, along with all the subscriber-only bonus issues.
A monthly subscription is only $5.99, or you can choose a 6 month subscription for $29.99 (auto-renewable after the month / 6 month period). This gives you access to the latest issue, all subscriber-only Private issues and any issues released while your subscription is current. To purchase an individual issue is only $6.99. You can unsubscribe at any time. Instructions available: www.the4blades.com/unsubscribe
(Note: prices listed are in Australian dollars, but you will be charged the equivalent in your local currency)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 600g calamari tubes, cleaned and sliced into 1cm thick rings
- olive oil, for cooking
- side salad, to serve
- Place salt (1 tsp), pepper (1 tsp), garlic powder (1 tsp) and chilli powder (1/2 tsp) into the bowl. Mix Speed 8 / 5 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add calamari rings (600g) to the bowl. Combine Reverse+Speed 3 / 5 seconds, or until calamari is well coated in marinade.
- Place oil into a large frying pan over high heat.
- Place a single layer of calamari in the pan and cook for 1-2 minutes on one side, then flip and cook on the other side for 1-2 minutes, or until tender. Do not overcook or the calamari will become rubbery.
- Remove and drain on paper towel.
- Cook remaining calamari. You may need to add some more oil to the pan and allow it to heat up Serve with a side salad.